Wymington is a small village in the north of Bedfordshire lying adjacent to the Country boundary, which join the Northamptonshire town of Rushden. There has been a school in the village since 1878, when it was founded by the Rector, The Reverend William Monk. To this day we continue to be a Church of England, voluntary aided School, within the Diocese of St Albans.
In more recent history the School changed from being a primary infant and junior school to a Lower School, providing primary education for children between the ages of 3-9 years old. In July 1989, the School changed its name from Wymington Lower School to St Lawrence VA Lower School, thus more clearly reflecting our status and connections with the Parish of St Lawrence and in September 2017 became St Lawrence Church of England Primary School, with its first Year 5 class.
The school has a responsibility to uphold its Trust Deed which encourages the school to maintain a distinctive Christian ethos. We have a special association and relationship with St Lawrence Church in Wymington. The whole school community worship in St Lawrence Church several times throughout the year. The clergy at St Lawrence Church visit the school each month to lead our Family Praise Collective Worship. The Parish Church Council appoints Foundation Governors to serve on the school’s Governing Board.
Our school has an active association with the Diocesan Board of Education. The Diocese provides guidelines, information and resources relating to Church Schools concerning Christian character, R.E. and collective worship. They also provide training for staff and Governors.